These are all quotes from Mother Teresa from the book, The Joy in Loving, by Mother Teresa compiled by Jaya Chalika and Edward Le Joly. You can buy it here.
1. Charity begins today. Today someone is suffering, today somebody is in the street, today somebody is hungry. Our work is for today, yesterday has gone, tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today to make Jesus known, loved, served, fed, clothed, sheltered. Do not wait for tomorrow. Tomorrow we will not have them if we do not feed them today.
2. Start by making your own home a place where peace, happiness and love abound, through your love for each member of your family and for your neighbor.
3. Give a person tender love and care. Your radiating concern, your radiating joy will give that person great hope.
4. God is joy, joy is prayer. Joy is a sign of generosity. When you are full of joy, you move faster and you want to go about doing good to everyone. Joy is a sign of union with God - of God's presence.
5. It is easy to be proud and harsh and selfish - so easy. But we have been created for better things. Each of us has plenty of good as well as plenty of bad in us. Let none glory in his or her success but refer all to God.
6. Riches and money do not make us rich - what makes us rich is our attachment to them. God gives us things to share, God doesn't give us things to hold, and so the more we learn to share the more we come to know each other, we will love one another, and if we love one another we will be able to share the joy of what we have.
7. We can never know how much good a simple smile can do.
8. Love to pray. Feel often during the day the need for prayer and take trouble to pray. God is always speaking to us. Listen to Him. He wants from us deep love, compassion and forgiveness.
9. I want you to find the poor here, right in your own home first. Be that good news to your own people first. Very often we are all smiles outside, but we are all sad inside and when we come home we have no time to smile.