Pope John XXIII revealed in his Journal of a Soul at an Annual Retreat from Nov. 23rd to 27th, in 1948, the way to Holiness. He was 68 years old and he writes - "My Mind is at Peace." Here it is written, his revelation to Holiness:
1. Repeat the words of St. Paul and live in them: "For I have died, and my life is hid with Christ in God." (Col. 3:3)
2. Make a constant effort to reduce everything. Detach from all earthly ties: from yourself, from your own pleasures, honours, successes, material and spiritual benefits.
3. Keep everything simple and tranquil, including position, aims, business and all principles. Continually use the prayer, "Lord Jesus, preserve in me the love and practice of this simplicity which, by keeping me humble, makes me more like you and draws and saves the souls of men."
4. Concentrate on truth, justice and charity. Above all focus on charity.
5. Appreciate the good side of people and things, rather than to criticize and pronounce harsh judgements.
6. By your good life show your good works in the meekness of wisdom. "The harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace." (James 3:13-18)
Source: Journal of a Soul, written by Pope John XXIII